Tuesday, May 10, 2011

savings fund

when i was little, my parents (well, probably my mom) gave me a little cleaned-out tin can. probably a green bean can. that's probably the canned product we ate most often. she peeled off the label, gave me a large assortment of colorful, beachy, vacationy stickers, and had me decorate said can.

this was my savings tin. i loved that little can... i can still see the little pink flamingos, beach balls, and flip flops. nothing was more satisfying to me than to look inside, and see a rolled up stack of bills and a heavy clank of coins in the bottom. not that there was a ton of cash in it at any given time (it was probably all $1 bills), but i learned early in life the joys of saving.

when i would go to summer camp, i always had my little stash of savings to spend on (the most delicious) limeades (in the world) and a sweatshirt and a t-shirt. or on vacation to florida i ALWAYS had this strange obsession with little ceramic pigs? and then i saved up enough money to pay for my trip to taiwan. i never monitored how much money i spent in college once i got a debit card. i just... never spent a lot. basically, i'm saying i'm a saver.

aaaaand theeeeen we decided to move 20 hours away. with a house note. and no job. and $5 gasoline. but i just started this new book... it's called

it's about God using the hard things in our lives to shape us. taking a really big financial risk like this scares me. watching savings dwindle... freaks me out. but God has good plans for us, and after everything i've been through, i cannot deny God's hand in it all. God, give us the wisdom to make good decisions.

(also, on a small sidenote, i decided why i love reading inspirational christian books so much... my love? language is words of encouragement. i drive charlie CRAZY asking him to say something to encourage me (we're still working on the whole communication thing :p) and since it's maybe not charlie's strong-suit to throw out random, encouraging things at me, i think i'm going to have to learn to receive that elsewhere. like books such as these!)

1 comment:

  1. A few things...
    Nothing better than a lisa frank decorated tin can (who didn't LOVE lisa frank in the 90's) :)

    You'll still be a saver, even when money is tight

    Alan and I are about to dive into the same journey for the 2nd time. I think you will be surprised to see how well you will manage and how quickly you will bounce back with your great financial sense after you graduate! (plus God has greatly blessed you with a wonderful job to provide for part of your expenses).

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers