Friday, March 29, 2013

safe

mrph.

what to say?

i had a fairly emotionally draining day.  i went to a seminar entitled, "Sexual Assault Fundamentals Education" or SAFE. it was a 5 hour seminar put on my the med school to inform people on how complex and entwined sexual assault becomes for a victim.

did you know 1 in 4 women will be raped in her life?

did you know that if you are raped before age 18, you are 2-3 times more likely to be victimized again?

did you know that SA victims are more likely to have multiple medical conditions? not because it's in their head, but because it changes their bodies.

my favorite speaker was a man who works at primary prevention (preventing rape from happening) by addressing men. he was... dynamic and powerful.  he spoke about how we live in a culture of rape. and how, if we can't see the objectification of women in our society, it's not because it's not there. it's because it's too common for us to recognize. which is a problem.

i'm sorry.  this is another heavy post. it was heavy to listen to for 5 hours. but good.

1 comment:

  1. My women and gender studies class last spring was like this for an hour and a half twice a week. I actually knew all of those statistics already. I could lecture for days about spousal abuse. Dark stuff. But it really opens your eyes to so much. I basically scrutinize every advertisement I see, and I absolutely refuse to shop at American Apparel anymore because of how disgusting theirs is.

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers