Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ruin a Thief's Day

I watched a girl's phone get stolen on the bus today.

It sounds like I watched and didn't do anything about it... but that's only kind of true. Well... I guess it's true. But let me esplain.

We were on the bus slowing down to a stop... a couple of kids in the back of the bus were standing by the back exit. Then, the first kid opened the door while the second kid snatched the phone RIGHT OUT OF THE GIRL'S HAND and ran. Sprinted off. At first I think she (and everyone else who saw it happen) thought it was a joke. Like she just kind of looked around like "what in the world just happened?" She then jumped off the bus and started yelling at him to come back, but obviously he wasn't going to.  So she got back on the bus and talked with the driver as we headed on down the road.

It was so weird. There are signs on the bus that say, "Ruin a thief's day. Protect your smart phone" but I didn't know that sort of thing happened in the middle of the day while you were holding your phone in your hand using it.

And then it was also weird just because of the day and age we live in.  The bus driver kept asking her for contact information so the transportation people could be in touch with her. And she kept saying, "I don't HAVE a good way for them to get in touch with me. He took my phone. That was my only phone number."

I also hate it because he was a kid. You know. I just want to punch him and say "what are you doing?! what is this doing for yourself?! what is this doing for other kids like you?"

Or maybe I want to punch his parents. Or... I don't know. Maybe he doesn't have present parents in his life. Every horribly inappropriate thing I have heard or witnessed on the bus has been from kids like him. Except for the men who refused to pay their fare. UGH. PEOPLE. COME ON. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. Or maybe it is. Maybe I have no idea how hard it is to grow up in a culture where F*** has no meaning is a very appropriate word to use in all sentences. It just frustrates me.  I wish I was bold enough to get up in people's business. Maybe. I don't know.

End rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers