Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I have a test this afternoon

That I do NOT feel like studying for.
Pernkie and Rufus are snoring LOUDLY... it makes me feel very safe and cozy.

Yesterday in one of my classes we had a guest lecturer who talked about how policy changes can really change norms in our country. For instance, taxes on cigarettes and banning smoking in most public spaces has created a very different environment--it is much less "normal" to smoke... at least in public spaces (although smoking has really plummeted in general). We can probably all say, "remember when you used to have to pick the smoking or non-smoking areas of restaurants?" For younger kids, that is something they probably can't believe ever happened. She then asked us to imagine 50 years into the future about some of the food culture that will change. She asked us to "Remember when..." as if we were in the future. Such as, "Remember when schools used to have pop machines?" or "remember when tomato sauce used to count as a vegetable on pizza in school lunches?" or "remember when kids were given PE only once a week and only given a couple minutes to run around outside for recess?"  HA! Or, "Remember when gas only cost $2.00?"

Not just health related, but what other things do you think will change? What will we say to each other remembering back 50 years from now?

1 comment:

  1. Ha, pop.

    I think it may be like, "Remember when we had to use our hands for things? Haha, crazy!"

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers