Tuesday, February 21, 2012

pfft

I'm tired today.
We got 2.5'' of snow last night.  It kind of feels like a lot after not having any for so long. And it got warm today (almost 40 degrees!) that's it's pretty much melted off of roads and sidewalks now. Which is nice. Snow is messy. And it makes the dogs track in mud every time we let them out. Our house is entirely too small for all that.
I made all the girls at school today wear Mardi Gras beads with me. I think they liked it. One mentioned going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans next year. That might be a little too wild for me. I like a New Roads Mardi Gras. Me = a big fan of family friendly.
Am I participating in Lent this year? I should. But I'm not giving up makeup OR doing P90X every day. Nosirrybob. I want to do a better job preparing myself for Easter... and fully being present and appreciating what Christ did. Maybe Holy Yoga every day. I just need to find some good scriptures to meditate on.
I have a headache.
And a big test tomorrow. Yeesh! (OBviously that's why I'm on here.)

I really like that I'm combining Public Health with my nutrition education.  I like it because they really have us think thoughtfully about what we encourage people to do AND how we encourage them to do it. We can't assume that everyone has the same access to the same foods. We can't tell people that gluten may (or may not) be bad for everyone so everyone must stop eating it. If people who have the resources to do so want to try it... and feel that it makes them feel better, then that is wonderful, too.  But I would never tell people, until there is pretty convincing evidence, that they should cut bread out of their diet, when in reality, it may be a major source of sustenance for them. Will they be able to find anything to replace that with? And I'm not just talking about wheat here... but any sort of new, "trendy" nutrition information. You know, we're really fortunate if we can choose to make healthy choices for ourselves and our families. Very fortunate, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers