Thursday, February 16, 2012

fellow

So. I'm applying for this Fellowship for next year to work with children and families of neurodevelopmental disabilities like autism, adhd, dyslexia, and down's syndrome. the more i learn about it, the more excited i get. but i can't seem to write a letter about WHY i want to do it and why i'm a good candidate for it. so i thought i'd type out some stuff on here because a blog is less intimidating than a blank word document, and i feel more free to just express my interest.

Until recently, I had never heard of a "Neurodevelopmental Disability" and was unaware that I knew anyone who fit into this category. It sounds devastating and far-removed from my very 'normal' upbringing. However, I think even the connotation of the label is misleading.  One of my very favorite cousins has Down's Syndrome. She is beautiful. And sweet. And generous. And smart. I love her because she is generous with her love. I also have two cousins with dyslexia and several more with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. One cousin was so discriminated against in her small-town elementary school, that she had to move from the delta to upstate Arkansas and live with my parents for a time just so she could receive an acceptable education. Her teachers called her stupid and lazy; this is not how it should be.
I believe the general public knows very little about these disabilities and therefore causes a stigmatization toward children and families living with them.  As a student of public health, I am dedicated to disadvantaged and underserved populations and believe Neurodevelopmental Disabilities fits into this category.
While I do not have specific medical or clinic experience regarding this area, I believe I can contribute my leadership training, nutrition education, and eagerness to learn to the LEND program.
During my undergraduate studies, I was hired as a student director of my University's progressive four-year leadership program which focused on servant leadership.  I gained invaluable experience collaborating on a small team, planning and executing events, managing groups, leading discussions, and evaluating our program's progress.  In addition, I am both a student of public health and of nutrition and dietetics. My education in public health has given me a very patient-focused lens through which to view health and wellness.  I believe it has given me a very holistic approach to patient interaction, treatment, and goals. As our society becomes increasingly more nutrition-aware, I believe diet and nutrition will play an increasingly important role in research, prevention, and potentially treatment for some of these disabilities.  There is a huge school of thought regarding nutrition and ASD and ADHD, and I want to be able to provide families with accurate, research-based tools they can use to help their children in addition to learning what things families want to know about nutrition and their children! And finally, I am excited about this topic! I want to learn as much as I can and be involved in this dynamic, progressive program!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers