Tuesday, August 30, 2011

beginnings

soooo i've updated my blogs on the trip up to minnesota.

my first few days of orientation have gone well. this program fits me SO well. when i listen to the other girls talk (the ones in my year and the ones we heard from today from the 2 years ahead of me) confirms that i'm in the right place. everyone really has a holistic approach to dietetics practice. i heard girls ask today how to separate emotions from patients in difficult situations like they saw a lot of nurses and other practitioners do during their internships. the responses were overwhelmingly that compassion IS what makes a person a good practitioner. while you have to be professional and have to... hold yourself together at times for the sake of the patient... it is perfectly acceptable to be overwhelmed with compassion for people. our adviser even noted that it keeps patients from turning into objects instead of people.

obviously i am not saying that all other practitioners have a patients-are-objects approach... but i have been in health care long enough to know that there are a lot of people who do. i am just so glad to know that i am surrounded by and will be learning with other women who truly love people and want to make a difference in the world.

i have also been overwhelmed with how much of an honor it apparently is that i got accepted into the program. there are only 8 of us and i think a LOT of people applied. and on top of THAT, i got an assistantship which i think are available close to none. our adviser already thinks highly of us, and i'm so thankful that God orchestrated all of this for me.

charlie will be here soon! yay! i'm enjoying alone time in the hotel more than i thought... but i'm also really lonely. i'm ready for my partner to be here. our communication really struggles long distance (how is that?? we did it SO well for 10 years!!)

also. i got my first ticket today. our meeting went a little long, and my parking meter ran out. $42. really?? for an expired parking meter?? on the ticket it says it's a nissan, that it's black, and an suv and my license plate number. but it says (typed) AK instead of AR. i don't know what to do. can they hunt me down with that much info and the wrong state? i really don't want to pay $42. i have dollar signs in my eyes from all the costs involved with going back to school and moving. yuck.

not ending on a bad note. this is going to be a great 2 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers