Saturday, January 28, 2012

Iron Chef

Charlie is trying to inspire to chef hidden inside of me, so he got me (upon request) a Cooking Light subscription for Christmas! Great gift.  And I think it's working!

So far I have made Miso Chicken, which was a big hit. I made it in the crock pot instead of marinading it and then cooking it stovetop. I actually think it may have turned out even better this way. YUMMY.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/miso-chicken-50400000118603/
Miso Chicken Recipe

Next, I attempted this:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grapefruit-pound-cake-50400000118562/
Grapefruit Pound Cake Recipe
Grapefruit Pound Cake.  #1: NEVER attempt to zest 2 Tablespoons of grapefruit zest without proper equipment. OMG. It literally took me 20 minutes. And a sore neck.  And I gave up before I got 2T. And then Charlie didn't like it, and I did... so I had it eat it all. Yuck. So make this one at your own risk.

And finally, I made this:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shrimp-lemon-saffron-rice-50400000118563/
Shrimp with Lemon-Saffron Rice Recipe

It was very good.  We used crowder peas instead of sweet green peas, so I added them in at the beginning so they could soften with the onions and bell pepper.  It could have used a touch more salt, but it was very good! We also used plain white rice instead of instant rice, so it cooked longer there, too... I'm sure you could do brown rice instead, too! Charlie got seconds, so I know he liked it!

I think we're both pleased with how this Christmas gift is turning out.  And. Let's face it. We have freezers full of food just waiting for recipes to use them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers