Monday, October 17, 2011

really?!

I have been in Minnesota for around a month-and-a-half now.  Close to two.

School started off slowly, but has really taken off.  And this program is AWESOME.  Can I just tell you the things I am already involved in??

1. Classes. Including Medical Nutrition Therapy and Public Health Nutrition Leadership. Who ever knew I would think tube-feeding was so interesting?

2. My field experience (hours going toward my RD license.)  I am working with a program called Cooking Matters where we teach low-income individuals (moms and grandmothers in my class) about how to cook healthy, low-cost meals and about nutrition.

3. The Latino Infant Nutrition Initiative.  I haven't gotten too far into this one yet, but it is a great organization.  I am helping them launch an obesity month in Puerto Rico including a march through the city (probably San Juan...?)  Doesn't this sound crazy?!

4. Latino and Hispanics in Dietetics and Nutrition... I did a little bit of research for one of their publications.

5. I am also on a group dedicated to abolishing the sales of raw milk in Minnesota... people don't realize it's pasteurized for a reason, apparently.

6. The Philips Neighborhood Clinic.  I am going to be volunteering in a low-income neighborhood and acting as a student nutrition clinician in a free, student-run clinic.  I'll be working with preceptors and other students in different disciplines (med students, PT students, social workers, etc) to help people in the community!

7. I will also be assigned to a community outreach site in the Philips Neighborhood.  I asked to work in a meal-program of some sort.

But seriously.  How crazy and amazing is this list of things?  And this is only the first semester.  I am so blessed to be given all these experiences and really meaningful opportunities to make a difference in people's lives as I learn to be a dietitian.  And how awesome is it that most of my learning is hands-on??  I do spend quite a bit of time on homework and studying, but the majority of my time goes into personal interactions with people.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers