Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dear Charlie (and Louisiana),

  






I am sitting in a
computer lab waiting for you to get off of work, and it has me thinking about our new life together.  Not even two months ago we were cozy in our little home with our country life and Grand Isle and crabbing and MooMoo and tons of family functions and taking the dogs running in the swamps and birding and our crazy-flexible schedules.




Now, we're cold and living in a neighborhood with the dogs inside and have instant access to parks and lakes and dog parks and gardens and museums and waterfalls and malls and every restaurant in the whole world.  The land of many apples and orchards.  And living with one car (Seriously.  I can't believe we did it.) And you working a job that has hours (and spending 12 hours a day looking for jobs and interviewing with people you don't know and who don't know you which I know is 100 worlds apart from where you came).  And me having 10238234 meetings every week. And you venturing out and finding places to shoot and hunt and buy local produce.  And learning our area like you were born here.



That's a lot of change.  And you did it for me.  Even mostly with a smile on your face. 

You gave up a lot, Charlie.  And I recognize that and I respect that. 

 There was a time when I was still learning you (I suppose I will always still be learning you) when I was trying to determine what your values were.  I never doubted that land and Louisiana was up there on your list.  But this sacrificial action made your words come alive (as you're always encouraging me to look at your actions as a means of determining your motives.) 


  
You've never given me a reason to doubt you.  You are more solid a rock than I could ever deserve.  And you literally are being my foundation during this time.  Thank you for your sacrifices.  I genuinely pray that this time will be as beneficial and wonderful for you as it has been so far for me.  I pray that this time wouldn't be about ME, but about US.  Because I'm rather fond of us, Charlie.  There is no one I would rather spend time with and share my life with than you.  Just think about where we came from... think about how God brought us together.  That US is pretty fantastically destined to do great things and love a lot of people along the way :)

(Oh, and happy late birthday :))

1 comment:

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers