Thursday, July 7, 2011

kindergarten



i thought of things to blog about all day. dorky? maybe. and now i can't decide what to say.

when we were in minnesota last week, we went to the U of M campus to scope things out and for me and charlie to get a t-shirt to support our upcoming residence. (i avoid the word "home" here for 1) my mom and 2) louisiana residents.)

but "the U" (as allllll locals call it in their very northern accents) was... totally and completely overwhelming. i... freaked out, for lack of a better word.


i went to an undergrad of 1200. total students. my high school (10-12th) was the same size. i could walk everywhere... i knew where everything was. although i went to LSU for a semester, i had my dear husband charlie to help me out. he _delivered_ me to my classes, and i VERY rarely had to go alone. and he taught me how to find close parking spots.

and then i come here. 3 campuses in the twin cities: st. paul, west bank minneapolis, and east bank minneapolis. my classes will be split between the latter two. with the mississippi river running through. and very little (expensive) parking. this means: public transportation! which i am also terribly unfamiliar with. my mom was excited and ready to go find my buildings and meet the administrators for my program... and i froze up. i felt like a kindergartener starting graduate school. and all i could think was that we needed to leave immediately.

i am excited about the next two years, and i am also terrified. this is going to be an incredibly stretching time for me, for charlie, and for our marriage. but as i just read in my new Joyce Meyer book (sorry for those of you who don't have the same love for self-help books that i have!), it is better to be moving through something hard than to not be moving at all. and i believe that. i believe we are moving toward (and through) something hard and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers