Thursday, December 4, 2014

Thankful part 2

I have more to be thankful for than that first list.

I get to be the middle sister. I have a big sister, and I have a little sister. I get to BE a big and little sister. That's something special and fun. And plus, having sisters is the best. Having MY sisters is the best.

I didn't get into nursing school. I would not have made a good nurse. I thank God that he closed that door for me so I could do something that I really love.

He put it in my heart to be an RD and I was drawn to the program in Minnesota when he finally started opening the doors for me to go back to school. From the way I looked at the program and talked about the program, Charlie knew we would be moving to Minnesota. And it was 2 of the best years. The maple-syruping. The checking on Charlie's chickens. The cutting down fresh Christmas trees. The walks in the snow and playing with the puppies in the snow. The trip to South Dakota. The days and nights cozied up inside. The experiences I had through my program.

I applied for a fellowship to learn more about developmental disabilities. My professors guaranteed me a spot in the program because I was the nutrition student that was applying. Months after I applied and was on summer break, God spoke to me that I wouldn't get into the program. A couple days later, I got an email from a professor telling me that I hadn't gotten in (she couldn't understand why?!) but that she wanted to offer me an assistantship with her. It turns out that the fellowship was down-funded, so my assistantship was MUCH better paid with MUCH fewer hours. AND I got to work with leaders in the field of maternal and child nutrition. I even got to go to an all paid conference in Kansas City as a part of the experience.

I am thankful I know I have celiac disease. I feel so much better following the gluten free diet than I have in years. I don't ache all the time anymore. I'm thankful God provided that answer.

I mentioned it last night, but I am thankful for the childhood I had growing up. My mom was able to stay home with us--we did fun things with her. She'd have hot cookies waiting for us when we got home. She spent time with us, teaching us how to cook. She'd treat us on Fridays to a donut. She encouraged us to read. She read us books about other countries and missionaries so we would have a world-view.

I come from a long line of Jesus-followers. That's pretty special. My mom was telling me last night about how her grandmother prayed for her mom and siblings. Mom's mom prayed for her and her siblings. Mom prays/ed for me, Susan, and Stacy. And I will love and pray for my children. I will be able to pass on the long legacy of loving God and loving people to my children. That started before me and it will continue into my children's children.

We used to go to the beach every summer with all of our cousins. It was the most fun. We'd get sunburnt and jelly-fish-stung and find shells on the beach and write on the tables at Fudpuckers.

God has put a burning love in me and Charlie for family. It's the most important thing to the both of us. God's put it on our hearts to adopt and foster and graft the riches of the Kingdom into His little ones. That's something we'll do together. He's also given Charlie (and in grad school gave me) a vision for New Roads--of getting healthy food to people who don't have access to it. Of teaching skills and work ethic to kids. Of pouring into people. Of seeing His Kingdom come to earth.

I am thankful for the example my parents have set. Their relentless pursuit of God and authenticity. How they lean on each other and support one another. But how they always look to God.

I am thankful Charlie and I have fun together. I'm thankful for our walks in the back--scooping for crawfish, watching the birds, stalking the roseate spoonbills. Picking blackberries. Letting the dogs swim. Watching goofy chase bugs. Or when we would go to the dog park in Minnesota. Playing War and how Charlie wins EVERY TIME. Cooking together. Fishing together. Car rides together.

I'm thankful we found Punkin. A few weeks ago we took the dogs on a walk in the back, and lost track of Punkin. After looking for her for over 2 hours, we were both convinced she had been eaten by an alligator or had drowned. I was a mess. As we were driving home, we got a call from Risa. Charlie's aunt had just driven by, and saw a dog by a trashcan on the side of the road that looked like one of our dogs. Sure enough, it was Punkin who had walked over 2 miles and across 2 highways and a railroad track. It was a miracle from God. No doubt. That silly little dog was protected by angels!

I'm thankful that God was so real to me at a young age--and how I have years of experiences and encounters with God that can encourage me when I'm feeling discouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers