Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I need to vent for just a second.


I like WIC (the Woman, Infant, Child government program).  It gives moms and babies good, healthy food. The choices are somewhat made for them, but there's still some room to pick the meals that work best for your family.  It has room for improvement (like providing more fresh (or frozen or canned or dried) fruits and vegetable options)... but overall it's a really cool program.

I've thought about how awesome this would be when applied to Food Stamps (now known as the SNAP program--Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program).  I've thought plenty about how, if the government's purpose is to keep families fed and healthy during hard times, maybe they should be provided food that will do that for them. Food with the greatest nutrient density.

But I guess I figured out today that I have a real problem with people saying that "THEIR" money shouldn't go toward people buying whatever food they want. Or "those people" don't know how to make good choices.  Or "they" shouldn't be able to buy things. Or "they" don't want to get off of food stamps now that it works like a debit card and they don't have to be embarrassed about purchases.

THAT, I have a problem with.

We NEVER EVER know or can understand everything that's going on with a person. We never know what struggles they've been through. Most of us don't know what it's like to be hungry or food insecure. We don't know if "they" are employed.  We can't assume that "they" like being on government assistance. We can't blame "them" for being overweight---rich and poor people alike are overweight.

Life and issues and health are complex. It's all intertwined with.. everything else. Let's not judge. Let's open our hearts and try to really understand one another, and have grace for each other when we don't.

Love one another.


2 comments:

  1. I understand the whole compassion concept. However, there are times when it is very difficult to see very rude, disruptive people with buggies upon buggies of absolute junk pay with their Louisiana Purchase card. That can be a bit frustrating. I'd never lump the people who actually use food stamps for their correct purpose in this group, but it just seems like there's a lot of work to be done as far as accountability is concerned. When I worked at the fruit stand and they still accepted food stamps, we'd have women come in (thankfully buying produce) with hair perfectly coifed, nails done (not the sorts that they would do themselves), using food stamps. All I'd like is a little accountability in the welfare program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely not saying there isn't a need for reform! (or even that I wouldn't like to see some guidelines created for what food stamps can buy...) Just that it's too easy to make generalizations about people. I sure hope "poor people" are still allowed to fix their hair (or have their sister-in-laws fix it for cost!) and try to look nice!

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers