Thursday, February 21, 2013

Decision-Making

I think everyone, everywhere should have to take a class on decision making. Frankly, I think they should replace your high school requirement for keyboarding with a class on decision making. It's SO important to make good decisions. Not all parents teach it (or exemplify it). And if you have certain friends, they may honestly encourage POOR decision making which can set you on a really undesirable life trajectory.

Life comes down to the decisions you make. Your attitudes (hey mom, I was listening to you the 1,000.000 times you told me that :)). Your morals. Your marriage partner. Your job/education/careers. The types of people you surround yourself with. I could go on and on here. We all make tons of decisions every day, so you know what I mean.

Today on my bus ride home from school 4 men boarded the bus. They all headed straight to the back of the bus... each one saying the next would pay the boarding fee for all of them. Once the bus-driver realized what was happening, he parked the bus and tried to convince them for a full minute or two to come back and pay.  Not one of them moved. People started to grumble, saying they didn't have time to wait for them, so he said, "Fine. But I'm going to have to call the Metro Transit Police."

Let's think about this. A metro fare is what? Between $1-$2.50. The cost for not paying your fare is $180. To me, that is pretttttty obviously a poor decision to make. But let's take this even further. So, you get the fine and then your name goes onto your record with it. Let's say you don't pay the fine (I actually feel quite confident that none of these men will pay their fines). So 9 months from now, something else happens and the police looks up their record. All but one of them were not native English speakers. Maybe they would face deportation if they are not already citizens (I'm not trying to make a blanket statement that accents=illegal 'aliens'). But If they ARE citizens, I think it's possible that they could face jail time.

All of this could happen because they wouldn't pay $1 to get on the bus. You've got to weigh your pros and cons people.  You've got to think about the consequences of actions!!

I wish I would have gone over to the men and broken this down for them. I considered staying on the bus past my stop until the metro police handled the situation.. but I decided to just get off at my stop. I don't know what happened. But I have to think if they're making really stupid decisions like that, then they're making poor decisions elsewhere.


James 3:17  


But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.


Proverbs 3:13-18


Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. ...



Proverbs 10:23


Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool, but wisdom is pleasure to a man of understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers