Wednesday, July 21, 2010

still in culture shock...

well. maybe not full-force shock. maybe more like a little sting. or something like that. it's amazing how i can live here for two years and still not catch on to cultural cues at all. at all.

example:

today at work we had a patient named joyce. (i hope it's not a hippa violation to say a first name..?) but in any case... i said "Oh, mrs. joyce, that's my middle name! i was named after my aunt." she looked at me and said, "Well... what is your first name?" I said "Stephanie." "Stephanie Joyce," she said. "Huh. You have two first names." to which i had NO clue how to respond. so i asked her what her middle name was... Marie. but then i was even more confused. marie can be a first name, too!! so i said "Ohhh."

so i was confused and trying not to be offended. two first names? i think stephanie joyce is a pretty name! was she trying to tell me that my name didn't go together? how dare she!

an hour or so later i brought it up to some of my fellow employees. heather nodded in agreement and said, "yeah... you don't have a catholic name."

*light bulb*

of course! i don't have a saints' name! duh. i didn't know this when i moved down here, so you might not either... but southern louisiana is about 80% catholic. so that means about 80% of the people down here have a catholic middle name. this all made me think. if i hadn't asked someone who understood, i NEVER would have figured out what "you have two first names" means. never. i would have been offended, when my patient was just stating that i must not be catholic. i wonder how many other cultural cues i miss... how many things i misunderstand just because... i misunderstand. ignorance. i hope to learn more and more about the people and cultures i am surrounded by.

3 comments:

  1. St Wilson discovered that sperry's are way too overpriced 6 centuries ago. His argument struck people at a pivotal time in American history.
    That is who I am named after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl don't ever let a patient offend you!! They don't know you, or anything about you! Most of the time they say things without even thinking and probably don't think twice about it after they have said it!! Besides, don't let it get to you because they don't know you! Or what an awesome person you are..I know I need to get a blog already..I always read everyone's! Don't let the seed turn into a tree!! Love you!
    Ris

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh steph! if it makes you feel any better, i would have been clueless too, and i've lived in louisiana my whole life!!!

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers