Thursday, July 8, 2010

eats vegetables ; family pets a plus

Brother and sister looking for a forever home together

Teen looking for father to teach him football

Creative 13-year-old seeks home in suburbs

Pre-teen’s knock-knock jokes will keep you laughing


over the course of my travels, i have been to many orphanages and left my heart with many orphans. i was shocked in thailand when i learned that most of the children there HAD at least one parent still living. many of these orphans had been given up by a mother who was forced to abandon her children in order to re-marry and be cared for.
one unassuming day in college, it hit me. our foster children are just like their orphans. i think the amount of rejection you would have to be healed of (obviously by the Lord) would just be immense.
after being reminded of my desire to (possibly) adopt or foster, i decided to hop online to look up what the parameters are in the state. i was... horrified. i don't know what i thought i would see. but i felt like i was picking out a pet. it reminded me when i scrolled through profile after profile looking for punkin. this one has special needs... this one needs others to play with... this one needs work on discipline. maybe it makes sense... maybe the best way to get people interested in adopting older children is to... create little profiles for them? but really? they're real children with real lives and real hurts and real joys. i just wish there were a more dignified way.


come on Church, let's step up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers