Monday, October 20, 2014

grandparents

Growing up, I didn't have grandparents. I always remember being sad on grandparents' day at school because all my friends would have their grandparents come eat with them at lunch, and I wouldn't. I never even got to meet them. So grandparents were probably a little idolized in my mind.

So when I imagined myself having children, their grandparents were always a big part of that picture. I've always wanted my parents to be a big part of my kids' lives.

I'm now 20 weeks away from a baby and realizing... what my reality looks like. I don't live close enough to my parents for routine life. Everything will require planning and effort and planning. I know they will still be a big part of my kids' lives--it just won't look like how I always wanted it to look. I'm just so lucky to have the parents I have. I'm so so blessed with their wisdom and steadiness and uncomplicated love.

I know that now when we get together everything is so intentional and we talk and catch-up and really make our time count. And I'm thankful for that--I know that's how it will be with grandkids, too. But the things they'll miss (and that I won't get to share with them) just break.my.heart.

This is the most depressing post ever.

I get to see them in a couple of weeks. Also, I have to remind myself that God knows all of this. When we moved to Minnesota, I KNEW that God had Charlie in mind, too. And he absolutely did by giving Charlie the opportunity to work on an organic farm and learn how a CSA works. (Not to mention us just having each other for 2 years, which was an amazing time I will always cherish). So I know if I could say that about Charlie, the same is true for me.

You're so faithful, God. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, Steph! I can't imagine having to have a baby without my mom or my family anywhere nearby..But we are here!! We can't ever take the place of your family but will help and be there in any way we can! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers