Sunday, August 26, 2012

New Post

Have I mentioned on my blog yet that I think I have celiac disease?  And by think I mean that if my husband eats a hamburger and then 2 hours later drinks out of my water bottle, and then I drink out of my water bottle, I will get violently ill.  At least that's the only potential contaminant we could come up with.  We haven't had wheat flour floating around in the house lately and I have been getting sick -much- less often.  And I spent a week at Diabetes camp with 29 other campers who have Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac (and I got to eat their clean food, yay!) and I didn't get sick all week.  And I pretty much get sick a lot at home. (Although, less since I've been back and we've been more careful).  I really didn't get sick when I was up in Fergy either... it was a clean house with no food (except mine).

I think that proves I have it.  I'm still mad that I've had two doctors refuse to give me the test.  But I guess that's how it goes.  I'm trying to talk my mom and little sister into getting the test... I think we may all have it and that it could really change our lives.  (Obviously it changes your life when you can't eat 99% of all prepared food), but also in that it could be the answer for all our health problems.  WOW.  If that isn't exciting, I'm not sure what is.

We've been searching and praying for the answer for so long.  Stacy said she didn't want to get the test because she didn't want to give up food.  But I really think you gain more than you lose.

Donuts, I'm not going to lie.  I miss you.  I miss being able to eat things without extreme paranoia.  I miss being able to go to any restaurant we wanted to.  But I also don't miss being sick all the time.  Or miss eating food I knew was going to make me feel bad.  A nurse at diabetes camp said that people with any chronic disease go through cycles of the stages of grief.  I think that's true.  I've already experienced anger, denial, acceptance, bargaining (although, not so much now since I get SO sick when I eat gluten that it's not even remotely tempting), and depression.  Depression just in that it's really frustrating to change your life so dramatically--mostly the social aspects.  Like no more potlucks or impromptu dinners out.  I'm sure I'll cycle around a few more times.

So, yeah.  If I haven't told you, there you go.  Confessions of a Non-Gluten-Girl.

1 comment:

  1. The dude in one of my favorite bands is married to someone with Celiac and wrote about it here:
    http://andrewschwab.com/2010/03/knifing-forcefully-at-your-colon/

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers