Monday, June 29, 2015

Family

I'm certain to offend some people with this post, but I'll put that up front. If you may get offended, or don't want to be offended by me, please don't read this. But this is too big of a deal to not blog about for my future reference. Keyword being MY.

So just a few days ago (I believe on 6.26), the supreme court made the decision to legalize gay marriage in the US. I deleted the Facebook app off of my phone because people are nuts. If I have to read one more post about how this is the gateway for pedophilia, I'm going to lose it. (Because 100% of known pedophile cases get locked up in jail and have to announce to their neighbors when they move into a neighborhood and 1 million other restrictions. And I'm thinking there's 0 things like that applied to gay relationships. The relationships were legal, only the status of marriage with its legal ramifications was not granted.)

I think what has bothered me the most about this whole debate is that Christians are saying that it's defiling marriage and defiling the family. Marriage is a religious institution.  I have a suggestion. Let the government no longer grant marriages. Only churches should. And let the government only issue civil unions. When I go to a wedding in a church with a priest and I know the couple doesn't have a relationship with God, I leave the service scratching my head. To me, this is part of the problem. If marriages are something created by God, then why do people outside of the church get married? Is it still a marriage if both parties aren't believers?

Furthermore, the church doesn't take marriage seriously. It's not treated with the sacredness it should be! This is OUR problem. If we want the world to respect marriage and consider it holy, then we better live in such a way that our marriages reflect that. But they don't. People should be able to look at our marriages and families and say that we're doing something right. Won't it be a big black eye on the church if gay marriages have a lower divorce rate than traditional evangelical marriages? I can see that happening because this is going to be a BIG DEAL for people to marry who have never been able to before, and I believe they're going to take it seriously.

I really feel that before we start hurling stones at people, we better take a good look inward.

In our world today with the highest number of human slaves in history and wars and murders and everything going on, I really don't feel that people WANTING to commit themselves to one another should be at the top of our list of horrors.

The family unit is terribly important. I think family is where Charlie and I will shine. But maybe we could attack things with action rather than pointed fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers