Sunday, June 15, 2014

Endurance

Displaying photo.JPG



Wow. Today my faithful X-terra rolled over to 200,000 miles. I've seen it coming, and have had it on the main odometer so I wouldn't miss it. I even knew it was going to happen TODAY on the way to or from church--so I've been planning how I'd capture the 199,999 and the 200,000. Funny thing is, I don't normally drive to church--Charlie does. But today I did drive--and I totally forgot. I noticed at the gas station that I had missed this monumental occasion by 8 whole miles.

My parents bought me this vehicle the summer after my Freshman year at JBU. My dad helped me look at cars... test-drive cars... price cars. He asked me what my DREAM CAR was if I could pick. I told him a black X-terra. He looked it up--he priced them... he read reviews and issues with the different models... and guess what my daddy bought me? A black X-terra. In great shape.

I can't remember how many miles it had on it at the time, but I test drove it and he drove it, and then he made an offer. The dealer accepted.

I've been driving this car now for almost 10 years. It has been the most reliable, faithful, dependable car there is. We've had very few issues with it, and it was paid in full when given to me--so it's given me a level of freedom some others don't get a experience. I haven't had to worry with car notes or constantly breaking down.

When I was staring at my odometer, I was thinking about how incredibly thankful I am to my parents for getting me this car. And how, on Father's day, I am thankful for the parallel way this car reflects my relationship with my father. When I was younger and living in closer proximity, my dad took the things he knew to be true and trustworthy and dependable and taught those things to me. More than anything else my father has given me, he's given me the wisdom of his life. He's given me the tools to use--now that I am no longer under his roof--to help me endure.

The car he gave me has gotten me 200,000 miles. The lessons he taught me and the example he set will get me infinitely further.

Thanks Daddy! I love you!



1 comment:

  1. How thoughtful! Just the thing I would expect from Steve Galbo's little girl :)

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers