Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Louisiana Heart Gallery (PCP, W and E Feliciana edition)

May is national foster care awareness month. 

There are 5000 children in foster care in Louisiana alone. 327 of them are available for adoption. The children in this picture are those who are waiting to be adopted in Pointe Coupee, West and East Feliciana Parishes. I wanted to remember the motherless on a day like Mother's day, and remind everyone that being a mother comes in many forms. God commanded us to care for the widows and orphans!


Pastor Timmy had me in a high traffic area on Sunday, but most people just looked without asking questions. One woman seemed very interested, but another woman who was adopted and had adopted two babies tried to talk her out of foster care! She said it's too hard and you get too attached.

One man thanked me for having a table set up--he was also adopted.

And one little boy kept staring at a picture on the table. He came back to the table over and over again. Finally, he said "he was my best friend last year--how did you get a picture of him?" I explained what the table was, and he then proceeded to try to convince his parents to adopt him :) It was very sweet.

Other than that, most people that came by frowned and said it was too hard to look at. 

I'm not sure what reaction I was expecting, but Sunday wasn't it?
I think I'll try to set up at least next week so maybe people will get curious enough to ask about it. I know awareness is one of the biggest points and that (obviously) not everyone is called to foster or adopt. 

I guess it's hard when you are really passionate about something and people... don't care. Charlie feels that way about vegetables. My dad feels that way about Theology. I know missionaries feel that way about missions. Some stay-at-home moms feel that way about staying home just like some working moms feel that way about careers. It's just hard. And I guess Charlie and I aren't quite to the point that we can actually foster or adopt (although we are getting closer). 

The faces break my heart. I started crying when I started opening the files and seeing their faces. So I understand when people say it's too hard to look at. I guess it's easier to ignore when you can't see their faces and their smiles and realize that they were best friends with your children. 

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I just needed to say something.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you for finding a way to share what you are passionate about with the people around you. Frustrating when they don't get it the same way you do, huh?! Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers