Wednesday, September 16, 2009

hey september!

this fall is a busy season. lots of birthdays and showers and showers and weddings and babies and school and homework and commuting and work.
i've made a couple of friends at school going through the same plight i am. we're all non-traditional students with degrees trying to simply get the requirements to be registered dietitians. and we're all quite frustrated. i came up with a plan according to all of our needed coursework following the strict prerequisites and semester offerings. i thought i could -maybe- finish in 2 years if i took two 19-hour semesters and did a little summer-work as well. this 2 years would get me ready for a year-long internship which would get me ready for the boards. i wasn't very happy about this, but it sounded do-able.
well.. i talked to my friend this morning who looked over my plan again... and she thinks it will take 3 years. with like 5-15 hour semesters. and THEN the internship. and THEN the boards. 3 years. because of how they have the program set up. i just don't see myself staying in this program that long wasting time on 5 hour semesters.
especially when i could get a grad degree AND get my internship AND be ready for the board exam in 2 years. TWO. masters degree. internship. all in one. it seems stupid to put in 4 years for nothing but a license, when i could actually get something else out of it in less time.
so i am presently on a voyage to determining my future. charlie has been (of course) very supportive and agreed that moving may be what we need to do if i can find the right program.
it's very disparaging to finally know what it is you want to do and be faced by obstacle after obstacle and discouragement and discouragement. it's like an opposition that i just can't seem to get past... yet KNOW i have to. but it's also scary to me thinking about the GRE and grad school and trying to keep up with everything. i'm so easily overwhelmed.
but i would shrivel up and die if i had to work on the rehab unit for the rest of my life. DIE.
God, i need wisdom. wisdom and direction.

5 comments:

  1. direction???...

    ..p...i...t.t...s..b..u.r..g...h.......

    (i was attempting to be subtle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pittsburg? Lame! Ft. Collins! haha. (well, actually wait until Alan and I know where we'll be living, then you can decide). haha. I'm glad you are figuring things out some. Sorry things are a little frustrating. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nashVILLE! you know you want to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.uams.edu/chrp/dietnutrition/

    ...just saying, i mean, i'm not the only one who would love to have you here...but don't be overwhelmed by all of the new options that you seem to have here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just remember, that even though you don't see what God is preparing for you, He IS preparing something for you. When the time is right you will know it. So, do what you need to do, but rest in the fact that your future is in good hands and no blockages will stop the will of God. I'll pray for clarity for you and that God show you what obstacles you can take out in the spirit. :)
    Looks like an amazing honeymoon. Glad you're loving married life!
    ...and I'm not going to recommend a school in Europe. Your families wouldn't like me. haha

    ReplyDelete

The Loups

My photo
My best friend Charlie and I moved from the deep South to the great North for me to go to graduate school at the University of Minnesota. I earned a Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics, and we've moved back to Louisiana. I'm a dietitian who wants to help people improve their quality of life through healthy eating! We love adventures, traveling, food and family. We have two dogs: our corgi Punkin and our lab goofy Rufus. We are very blessed to be in love and to walk through life together!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Blog Archive

Followers